The Balancing Act of Motherhood
Trying to balance my life can be a struggle, though sometimes the best things in life are worth the fight.
Feb 28, 2011
Walmart's Beef
I just can't do it!!  I can't bring myself to buy any kind of beef products from Walmart.  Why(you may ask)?  It is as simple as this, when I look at the labels I expect to see that it says 100% real beef with no additives.  Instead, when I turned the package over I saw a piece of paper that listed the INGREDIENTS IN THE BEEF!!  I understand that there are additives in some meat like lunch meats, ham, hot dogs, and many others, but I want my steak to be just beef.  It has been said that what they add to it is suppose to not only make it keep that red appearance, but it's also suppose to enhance the flavor of the meat.  I don't care if my meat turns a bit off color due to oxygenation, I don't want some chemical inside of the darn thing!!  It all turns brown when you cook it anyway.

Now, you may say that it's not such a big deal because other meat have stuff added into them as well.  Yes, I have noticed that even chicken has water added to it.  What I can't handle is the fact that what is added is mostly salt.  I feel sorry for people with heart conditions that eat this stuff.  Here is the list of ingredients that they put into their steaks.
  1. Beef
  2. Beef broth
  3. Potassium Lactate
  4. Sodium and Potassium Phosphates
  5. Salt
  6. Natural Flavors
  7. Ascorbic Acid
Okay, the beef I understand.  Why add the beef broth?  What is in the broth anyway?  Where is the list of ingredients to that one!!  It's probably more salt anyway.  The potassium lactate is salt of lactate acids.  It's use is to make it have a longer shelf life.  Gross!  Sodium and potassium phosphates are phosphoric acids and its salt.  It is used to enhance the meat flavor.  Here we go again with the salt.  So, let me get this straight, we have beef, beef broth (which probably has salt in it), salt, salt & salt, oh, and more salt!  What the hell are the natural flavors?  I'm sorry, but there is no natural flavors when it comes down to it.  It's all salt to me!!  Oh, and last but not least by any means, we have ascorbic acid.  It's used to keep your meat red even if it's spoiled!!  OH HELL NO!! 
That is just wrong on so many levels!


What kill me on this is that the front of the package it says 100% freshness guaranteed!  If it sat there for months would they still consider it fresh?!!  I have tried to be more mindful of what I put into my body and I know that I still need to do a lot of work in that department, but leave my steak alone!!
0 Comments:

Post a Comment